Tuesday 4 May 2010

Some days you are meant to get home from work, go into the kitchen and cook up a storm and some days you are meant to get home from work, lie in the sofa, curl up in a ball and stay well away from the kitchen. Today was the latter.

I set about making lavender cupcakes for my stepdad's birthday from the cook book I swear by: Hummingbird. Having spent my lunch break agonising over where to buy dried lavender flowers and purple food colouring, I was roaring to go - or so I thought.

Step 1: Put the whole milk and dried lavender flowers into a jug, cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight if possible.
Ah bugger, I wanted to make them now and it's 8pm. I'm not starting to bake at bloody 11pm. Ok, so I'll put them in tonight and make them tomorrow night.

Get the whole milk out of the fridge. It's about seven days out of date and looks rather like cream. So I drive to Sainsbury's to get more whole milk.

Milk infused lavender in the fridge ready for tomorrow, I decide to look upon this as an opportunity to be doubly nice and make my stepdad something else he had requested from the book: coconut and pineapple cupcakes.

This goes fine until I put my cupcakes in the oven and set about making the topping. I don't have enough icing sugar!!!
(Shhh, don't tell anyone but I stole some out of my housemate Emma's cupboard and when that still wasn't enough I took some of Jemma's icing sugar too!)

Lets hope they taste nice after all of that... Watch this space

No comments:

Post a Comment